San Francisco, California
Who we are
Spoondrift is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally).
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
Who you are
You are a problem-solving team-player who wants to see their engineering talents have a direct impact on the success of the software team and the greater company.
You’re curious and want to know how things work. When things don’t fully make sense, you’re not afraid to ask for more details.
If something doesn’t go according to plan, you easily adapt and roll with the changes. Pivoting is an acceptable part of your work environment.
You’re not afraid of learning from failure.
Maybe you’re fresh out of college or have just learned to code over the past couple years–either way, you’re excited to learn new and different technologies and can confidently follow existing design patterns to get new features developed. You’re confident in your abilities, but also have a good sense of when to reach out to your co-workers and ask for guidance on implementation decisions.
When you get up in the morning, you show up for work because you are excited about the people you work with and the projects you’re working on.
Essential Job Functions
- Follow existing design patterns, independently implement small and medium-sized features/bugfixes and the automated tests that cover them.
- Own smaller parts of larger feature sets by working with teammates to accomplish the greater goals.
- Research, compare, and contrast options for 3rd party integrations.
- Integrate with different software systems (both internal and external systems).
- Learn and demonstrate a willingness to practice good software development processes.
- Experience with Node.js
- Familiarity with Angular
- Familiarity with Agile practices
- Familiarity with signal processing, modeling, and/or data science
- Familiarity with ocean or environmental sciences
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Recent computer science college graduate (or a related technical degree) or 2+ years professional experience.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- A basic knowledge of web technologies and methodologies of how different software systems can work together.
- A flexible work schedule and be on-call during evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Demonstrate initiative and self-motivation, conscientious and provide complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP.