San Francisco, California
Who we are
Spoondrift is powered by the dream to make ocean wave observations and visualization widely available to ocean communities, professionals, and enthusiasts. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for the digital ocean. We are a bunch of ocean enthusiasts and keep our offices close to the water.
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and grind hard.
We are deeply passionate to build and own the world’s best ocean data platform.
Who you are
- You want to tackle ocean data problems that don’t have solutions yet.
- You enjoy working in team environments but also covet that head-down, deep-thinking time.
- You are curious and eager to learn, are open to new ideas, willing to propose new solutions, and not afraid to try new approaches even if they may fail.
- You care about the health of the planet and our oceans and want to have an impact on a global scale.
Essential Job Functions
- Research how to best use large clusters of buoy observations to improve ocean forecasts.
- Prototype models (Machine Learning and Physics based) and conduct experiments in collaboration with teammates.
- Work on data ingestion, training and testing pipelines with software engineering team.
- Assimilate and communicate results and ideas to the broader team.
- Experience with Machine Learning frameworks, tensorflow.
- Experience with numerical ocean and/or weather modeling.
- Experience in software engineering.
- Excellence in mathematics, competency in linear algebra, differential calculus and statistics.
- Experience with Python and Matlab.
- Self-motivated, curious and passionate about science.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP