Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Who we are
Spoondrift is powered by the dream to make ocean wave observations and visualization widely available to ocean communities, professionals, and enthusiasts. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for the digital ocean. We are a bunch of ocean enthusiasts and keep our offices close to the water.
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and grind hard.
We are deeply passionate to build and own the world’s best ocean data platform.
Who you are
You are a problem-solving, self-motivated, team-player who wants to see their engineering talents have a direct impact on the success of your team and company. You are a software guru who can crank out code, have opinions on technology and general architecture, and communicate your design and thought process to a wider audience of engineering teammates. You can responsibly weigh implementation options considering multiple factors such as deadlines, scalability, tech debt, and performance.
You care most about the success of the greater team and the impact of what we build together. When somebody is struggling with their part of the project, you are helpful and work with them to get their work across the finish line. While you are a great coder, you’re also a great teacher and leader.
When you get up in the morning, you show up for work because you are excited about the people you work with and the projects you’re working on.
Essential Job Functions
- Advanced understanding of backend best-practices and architecture.
- Advanced understanding of database design and best-practices.
- Understanding of API's/web services both design and implementation.
- Working knowledge of VCS’s best practices and use.
- Familiarity with SDLC and Agile software development methodologies.
- Ability to take a project from idea inception to code complete.
- Ability to quickly pick up new languages and frameworks.
- Experience with large time series databases.
- Experience in mathematics, science, or signal processing.
- Experience with data science and machine learning.
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks. (Angular, React, Vue, etc.)
- Experience and/or passion for DevOps and CI.
- Familiarity with Node.js
- College Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 4+ years professional experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Deep technical knowledge of web systems, technology infrastructure and technical frameworks.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, with ability to use data and analytics to understand and improve performance.
- A flexible work schedule and be on-call during evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Demonstrate initiative and self-motivation, conscientious and provide complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP